Tuesday, February 17, 2015

I have been busy

Over the last several months I have been kitting fabric for future quilts for the center.




A couple of years ago Jacque J. hosted an annual retreat.  Every year they do a charity project.  This particular retreat everyone was asked to bring 10 inch squares in fall colors.  Above is a sampling of the fabrics donated.  Jacque donated the blocks to Iowa Comfort.


I sorted the fabric and made these 4 kits out of them.  I plan to use the double sliced layer cake pattern from Missouri Star Quilts.  A pattern that goes together really quickly. With all the varying fabric these quilts should turn out awesome! I even have some fall fabric ( picture 2) to use as binding on them.



This fabric or at least the layer cake, was purchased in Anchorage last year when I visited my sister.  It is flannel.  I didn't have quite enough fabric to make a bed size quilt for the center....so it has been setting on a shelf for several months.  Then at Quilt Circle I spotted the fabric to the right.  It was perfect for this quilt.  So the fabric will be cut down into 10 inch squares and I will have enough for a quilt.



Remember fabric that was donated by Fon's and Porter?  There was all that beautiful Asian fabric.  I cut it all down into 10 inch squares.  As a result of several weeks of cutting and sorting I have 8 kits ready to be sewn up.




There was also a large donation of Christmas fabric donated by Fon's and Porter.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it.  I just could not wrap my head around making bed size quilts out of Christmas fabric or even Hope Quilts.

I spoke with one of the centers staff members at the center and we decided that perhaps we could use that fabric to make quilts to be used as Christmas gifts.  Every year they have residents that do not get adopted.  These lap size quilts will make a perfect gift for those who might not otherwise get a gift.  I think I have six kitted.  I plan to have at least three ready for delivery before the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment